Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Our Future - Safe In Christ

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking tonight about my past, present and future. Looking back on my life so far I remember, the 50 mile hike our Scout troop took in the New Mexico mountains. Our troop was a team. We sweated through snow, rain and blistering heat together. We working through the seemingly endless rows of merit badges required for Eagle Scout. Then, together we walked together up onto the platform and our dad's pinned on our Eagle badges. I remember the feeling of walking onto the campus of NorthEastern A&M college and for the first time in my life spending a week with people I did not know. I remember the joys of seeing my mother, sister and one of my little brothers, crossing the college grounds when the time came to go home. I greatly enjoyed my time there, but there is truly no place like home. I remember the time Dad and I were out looking for lost cows, I was just a little fellow not more then 4 or 5 years old, and Dad picked me up and carried me across the creek on his shoulders. I recall the one memory that sticks in my head about my Grandpa Troy. He and Dad where feeding cows and I got to ride along. I remember him laughing and what a good time it was to be riding with "the big guys" doing a man's job. I recall the many times my other Grandad would grab me and wrestle with me while I screamed with glee or the many times he, Dad and I would be hard at work changing the oil on our suburban. The times out on a camping trip or driving through a pasture on a starlight night, reflecting on the wonder of God's creation.

Then my thought began to cross into the unknown, the future of Travis Henry. Here I am, an 18 year old boy who has been blessed with so much in his short lifetime so far. I am set to graduate in May and with that will close one chapter of my scholastic life. Where will life go from there? The doors of college loom large before me. I want to be equipped for whatever God would have me to do with the rest of my life and college seems to be the best way for me to achieve that. On December the 10th, I will retake the ACT test. If my score is raise sufficiently I can get a full ride scholarship to ECU, a local community college. Please pray for me as I prepare for that test. After college, only One knows. Law School? Congress? Marriage? Family? I am encouraged by the words of the Holy Scriptures.

"Jer 29:11 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."

Blessings upon you all,
Travis

No comments: